HOME | Pacquiao vs Cotto News | Pacquiao vs Cotto Videos | Pacquiao vs Cotto Pictures


Thursday, October 29, 2009

Miguel Cotto: Manny Pacquiao 'is just another boxer'

pacquiao vs cotto
Miguel Cotto is confident. Indeed, supremely confident of shocking Manny Pacquaio, who many consider to be the pound for pound No 1, when they meet in Las Vegas in 16 days’ time.

With the bookies, Cotto starts as the underdog, defending the WBO welterweight crown – albeit at 145lbs – against the Filipino fighting idol at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas.
But does Cotto think he simply has too much firepower for Pacquiao ? The Puerto Rican has been very coy about his game plan, and like others before him, is looking to blow Pacquiao away. Several opponents have underestimated Pacquiao’s power at their peril.
Psychologically, because he has come up so many weight divisions, is it difficult for them to remove thoughts that they are fighting a smaller man. Yet, in reality, Pacquiao does not look that much smaller than Cotto.

It is worth recalling that when Pacquiao turned professional as a teenage boy in 1995, fighting for a dollar a fight, Pacquiao weighed seven stone 8lbs. On November 14, he fights Cotto for the WBO welterweight title, with the Puerto Rican champion most likely to be around 160lbs.

Cotto says: “He’s just another boxer who comes to my division and challenge me for my title. The night of November 14 I’m going to be prepared for him, and I’m pretty sure I’m going to beat Manny Pacquiao.”

“I know at the moment I have another opportunity to prove myself. I’m going to be the winner.”

Pacquiao insists that Cotto is the “hardest test” of his career, but Pacquiao’s speed, if he is on his game, could overwhelm Cotto. Not in the manner that Ricky Hatton was made to look a statue in their May contest.

“This is the toughest fight of my career and I won’t waste the opportunity,” said Pacquiao “I’m treating this fight with the seriousness it deserves. I won’t let myself get carried away with other people’s comments. Many are saying the punishment from Margarito and Clottey has affected him, but I won’t depend on that. Cotto is still a very strong fighter and bigger than me. I have to fight smartly and not underestimate him.”

“The intensity remains the same but maybe what has changed somewhat is the type of training, because we have to adjust to a particular style to fight Cotto,” said the 30-year-old. We need to apply certain techniques. I have spent many hours on studying with Freddie to identify Cotto’s weaknesses and strengths, to find his key points.”
“We are ready for what they bring. We have studied him very well. What I do is stand in the ring, box and put on the best fight possible. I’m not looking for a knockout but I’ll welcome it if it comes.” Wise words from the man of the Philippines.

Source: telegraph.co.uk

4 comments:

  1. Hello, I would like to advertise on this blog and also submit articles to you. Please contact my at Gregory@hstreetmedia.com asap, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COTTO HAS NO IDEA OF THE REAL UNREVEALED FILIPINO BOXING ART. MANNY HAS IT. COTTO IS FACING LOTS OF SURPRISES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this would be the fight much awaited. I'm not really a fan of boxing but ever since I saw Manny fight I now adore boxing so much ....Long live Manny Pacquiao and more power to you!

    ReplyDelete