HOME | Pacquiao vs Cotto News | Pacquiao vs Cotto Videos | Pacquiao vs Cotto Pictures


Sunday, August 23, 2009

I won't be surprised if Cotto beats Pacquiao


It befuddles me how a lot of people are giving Manny Pacquiao such a big edge against Miguel Cotto. To me, this fight is an absolute toss-up. If I was a Miguel Cotto fan, I'd bet on Cotto since the odds in Las Vegas have him as a 2-1 underdog.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Miguel Cotto is Pacquiao's toughest challenge to date. He is naturally so much bigger (with the exception of the washed-up Oscar De la Hoya) and stronger than anybody Pacquiao has had to face. In terms of skill, Cotto will be able to give Pacquiao fits. Cotto is a very good counter puncher in his own rite and throws textbook sweet punches from all angles.

Before Pacquiao fans jump at me without fully comprehending the context of this column, allow me to state my case. See, I am by no means belittling Pacquiao's capabilities, what I am trying to say however is that Cotto is definitely the biggest mountain Pacquiao will have to climb. To me, he is far more dangerous than Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Pacquiao's past two performances against De la Hoya and Ricky Hatton were incredible indeed and Pacquiao deserves all the credit in the world he gets from both feats. Cotto though, is in a totally different league from those last two guys Pacquiao beat. Call him damaged goods all you want, but to me that is a myth. Had Cotto faced the same De la Hoya and Hatton Pacquiao did, I have no doubt he would've came away with similar results.

Cotto's true weakness for me however is his heart. A confident Cotto is a different fighter compared to a hesitant and pressured version of him. When in doubt and backed up, Cotto wavers and second-guesses himself. That's the reason why I think he quit against Margarito, and the reason why he faded against Clottey after sustaining a nasty cut from a head-butt. Against Pacquiao, he will be fighting someone whom he will have to kill before he gives up. On Pacquiao's part, he will really need all his heart can muster to beat Cotto.

Pacquiao keeps coming. When hurt, "The Pacman" pounds his fists and goes to work. His granite chin will be put to the test against a legitimate welterweight but not more than how Cotto's will be tested by a true knockout artist. If I were Cotto right now, I'd have someone ocassionaly hit the right side of my face with a baseball bat so I can get used to Pacquiao's game finishing left fist.

If Cotto survives all the best Pacquiao throws at him and fights the way he does against overmatched oppoenents, his skill and size advantage may very well be more than enough to beat the pound-for-pound king. If Juan Manuel Marquez's right was able to stagger Pacquiao a year ago, a perfectly placed counter punch by Cotto on an unsuspecting and attacking Pacquiao can definitely lay the Pacman out.

This fight is simply too intriguing and too close for me to predict and besides, it's still too early to do all of that anyway.

If I based it solely on size, strength, skill, talent and their capabilites, I might even say Cotto has a slight edge, but what most people fail to give proper value in the equation is Pacquiao's tenacity, heart and ferocity. Pacquiao was born to be a fighter. As evidenced by the big smile he carries every time he comes to the ring, the thought of a fist fight brings a natural joy to the man's heart and lights a fire in his his eyes. He comes at you in a way only "Iron Mike" Tyson reminds me back in his hay days. It will also be interesting to see how Cotto will fight and react to a passionate and boisterous crowd that will be rooting against him. Most of his fights were enjoyed in the comforts of the Madison Square Garden in New York in front of a pro-Puerto Rican crowd.

Don't hate Pauli Malignaggi for favoring Cotto to beat Pacquiao by KO when he said "the guy (Cotto) hits like a beast." He is merely using his logic. Cotto did afterall make him taste defeat. What Malignaggi hasn't seen however, is a devil of a fighter like Pacquiao in the ring. He may know Cotto to be a beast but Pacquiao is definitely a beast killer. If boxing legends sucked blood and has eternal life it would be fair to call Pacquiao "Manny the Vampire Slayer". Pacquiao can definitely slaughter the biggest beasts with the power in his fists and his blinding speed.

With that said, in a story-book ending, the hero likely kills the beast. This is reality however- boxing of all things- all I'm saying is that I would not be surprised if this time the beast actually eats the hero's head off. Anything can happen, that's why this fight is so intriguing and that's why it's already sold out. It's going to be explosive and exciting unlike other mega-fights that rely on hype and advertising. And just like ticket buyers and fight fans alike, I simply could not wait to see this epic.

Source: examiner.com

1 comment:

  1. This fight won last 10rounds it will be a tko victory for PAC due to a cut or knockout victory for MAC.

    ReplyDelete