HOME | Pacquiao vs Cotto News | Pacquiao vs Cotto Videos | Pacquiao vs Cotto Pictures


Saturday, August 29, 2009

Manny Pacquiao is the hottest thing in boxing right now’- Paulie Malignaggi


When I asked “The Magic Man” Pauli Malignaggi yesterday, who was a victim of some “hocus-pocus” himself in Houston last weekend, why people are favoring Manny Pacquiao so much against Miguel Cotto, Malignaggi replied,

“People jump on bandwagons. Manny Pacquiao is the hottest thing in boxing right now. He’s popular. He got nice wins over Hatton and De la Hoya. Everybody is jumping on the bandwagon,”

Whether you love him or hate him, agree with what he says or not, Malignaggi speaks the truth- his truth. You don’t have to believe him but one thing’s for sure, he believes in what he says. Boxing has been deluded with so much lies and promotions that often times you really can’t believe anybody in the sport anymore. Malignaggi however is an exception to the rule. You may not like or agree with what he says, but he will give you his honest opinions on matters he has knowledge in.

That’s why in part two of my interview with Malignaggi, I asked for his opinions regarding two of the biggest bouts in boxing before the year closes.

Malignaggi feels that Cotto and Mayweather’s size and strength advantage will be keys to victories over their smaller opponents. He also thinks Joshua Clottey was a tougher fight for Cotto than Pacquiao would be and believe he has a chance to be proven right in November. I do agree that he will have a chance to be proven right and that Cotto is far tougher than a lot of people give him credit for as reflected by the 2-1 betting odds Pacquiao is getting in betting lines but I disagree that Pacquiao will be an easier fight for Cotto than Clottey. If anything it’s a toss-up for me. With that said though, Malignaggi has far more ring experience and credibility than a lot of us combined and has faced Cotto in the ring so I wouldn’t dare argue with him either. I will however respectfully disagree.

Check out the video below and read the transcribed highlights of my interview with Malignaggi.

***************

D Source – What do you think about Miguel Cotto vs. Manny Pacquiao in November?

Paulie Malignaggi – I got Cotto for that fight. I had picked Pacquiao to beat Hatton in May. I just didn’t think it was Hatton that beat me but the lack of correct training in my end that really won the fight for Hatton. But I think Miguel Cotto is a different class of fighter (compared to) that Pacquiao has faced. I don’ think Pacquiao has faced really good fighters but he’s going to find out that Miguel Cotto is not only a bigger guy but a stronger guy. He’s a stronger fighter than people make him out to be. And Cotto’s fought fast guys in the past. He’s fought Judah, he’s fought Mosley. He fought some strong guys. He fought Judah, Mosley, Margarito. I don’t think Pacquiao is going to hit harder than those guys hit him. Pacquiao’s coming up in weight. He’s a strong guy for his weight but I think at a certain point he’s going to have to deal with a lot of strength. Miguel Cotto was dismantling 140-pounders when he was a junior welterweight because he’s a bigger man and harder puncher than most of these guys. Manny Pacquiao is a smaller man even at 140 pounds or so. Getting him in the ring with Miguel Cotto, I just don’t see how it’s going to work out for him. And it’s not that I’m taking away anything from Manny Pacquiao. He’s a really good fighter. He’s a really good fighter for a guy his size. Maybe some of the bigger guys weren’t that good like Oscar was past his prime and Hatton wasn’t really as good that they give him credit for. I got Cotto stopping Pacquiao.

D Source - Why do you think people are favoring to win this fight though?

Paulie Malignaggi – People are (inaudible) right now. People jump on band wagons and Manny Pacquiao is the hottest thing in boxing right now. He’s popular. He got nice wins over Hatton and De la Hoya. Everybody is jumping on the bandwagon. Miguel Cotto hasn’t looked so spectacular but in my opinion he hasn’t looked so spectacular because he has fought very, very good opposition. And when you have two good oppositions against each other, then you’ll have an evenly matched fight. I think in the end will see that Joshua Clottey will have given Cotto a tougher fight than Manny Pacquiao. I said the before he fought Clottey that Clottey will give Cotto a tougher fight and not Manny Pacquiao. And now I will have a chance to be proven right. I believe he will have much easier time with Manny Pacquiao than Joshua Clottey.

D Source – And how about the Mayweather and Juan Manuel Marquez fight?

Paulie Malignaggi – I think it going to come down to, two good fighters, but one’s a bigger man, one gets hit the other doesn’t get hit. And the one that doesn’t get hit is also the bigger man. I just don’t see Marquez giving Floyd too many problems, you know. So I see Floyd taking that one rather easily if not a late stoppage a unanimous decision.

Source: examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment